Monday, September 13, 2010

Demo: Synthesized Steam Loops (x)RPM for Possible Use in Trainz

As much as I've enjoyed using Trainz Simulator over the years, I've found the lack of a really good-sounding steam locomotive sound effects to be disappointing. Beginning with Trainz 2009, there seemed to be hope for improved steam sounds via the use of steam (sound) loops in various RPMs. Since getting recordings of real steam locomotives running a given RPM are difficult to obtain, I've toyed with creating steam loops by synthesis, based on sound recordings of real steam locomotives. Here's a demo of what I'm talking about:



Click the "Read more" button (below) to continue reading...


Unfortunately, I haven't found a great deal of the specs, details, and how-tos of how to go about using steam_loops_xRPM files. And making things even more difficult, Trainz 2009 (and apparently 2010) have a glitch that lowers the volume level of the sound loops to the point where they're inaudible within Trainz.

So, in hopes of obtaining some assistance with getting access to the nitty-gritty of Trainz sound loops, I've made the following video to demonstrate examples of synthesized steam sounds that can be created. I'd be willing to create the sound loops, and allow anyone to use them with freeware Trainz creations. But in order to produce some good sounds, I need some specs! ;) Any info would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment